Different Strokes Charity Cycle Ride
Please donate here!

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Day 5 – Wiveliscombe, Somerset to Chew Magna, Avon

We did 57 miles today! The Quantock Hill was the highest yet. None of us cycled all the way to the top but we tried!

Steve reaching the top
Thank you to Monica, Brian’s elder sister, for her delicious flapjacks which we ate at the top of The Quantocks. (We noticed that Brian was rather deferential to her when she visited us at the hotel, unlike to us.)
 
Almost at the top of The Quantocks

After the Quantocks was a wonderful flat bit for 15 miles - a welcome relief.

Then came the dreaded but beautiful Cheddar Gorge. I had the misfortunate of cycling up just behind Liz & Vanessa. Vanessa stopped suddenly on a steep corner & Liz smacked into her. A car was passing at the same moment, so I was trapped between the car and the girls and had to stop. It's a shame because I really wanted to say I climbed Cheddar Gorge. Once I stop on a hill I can't get going again. Only one leg works well enough to pedal quickly and on a steep incline I just can't work it out. Not to worry, 20 metres further ahead the road was flat enough to get going again - so I guess I climbed Cheddar Gorge minus 20 metres.  


Cheddar Gorge

We were hoping to catch the England World Cup game this afternoon but it took us a bit longer to reach West Harptree than we expected (not unusual) so we caught the last half hour. England won.


Hugh replaced a broken cable to his gears while we watched the game. Then it was a quick and easy 5 miles to our destination in Chew Magna.

Relaxing having a Murphy's moment at the end of the day

PS - We are getting wonderful promotional support from Hook Norton on their website courtesy of Penny from the Royal Oak in Whatcote. Read more here: http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/news2010/Royal-Oak-customers-cycling/Royal_Oak_cycling.html

And BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio are doing a special piece on us on Friday. I don't know what time yet but I will post the time as soon as I know. They want to interview me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent job so far, guys and gals! Does this mean you are roughly halfway?

Robby